1. Sutton Archive and Local Studies Library, 2361/1/1.
2. PROB 11/1746 q566.
3. PROB 111780 ql.
4. Sutton Archive and Local Studies Library, 2361/1/3.
5. Ibid. 48/4/16.
6. The Times, 4 April 1849.
7. E.W.Brayley, A Topographical History of Surrey, Vol-49 1850, p.68. 8. Sutton Archive and Local Studies Library, 2361/15. 9. Ibid. 2361/1/9.
10. Frederick Braithwaite, On the Rise and Fall of the Wandle in Institution of Civil Engineers Proceedings, Vo1.20, 1861.
11. PROB 11/2152 q370.
12. Sutton Archive and Local Studies Library, 2361/1/10.
This mill was situated on the southsi.de of Carshalton High Street, between the parish church and The Square, on a site now occupied by an annex to the Coach and Horses public house. It was powered by a stream running from the Hogpit Pond in Carshalton Park, into the Lower Town Pond, and the position of the outfall into this pond can be seen in its southeastern corner, nearly opposite the mill site.
This stream had been formed chiefly to provide an additional supply to the Lower Town Pond, and hence to the Upper Mill a short distance downstream. The work may have been carried out by Thomas Scawen, who had inherited Carshalton Park and the Stone Court estate in 1722, but more likely it was his son, James Scawen, who had inherited those properties in 1774, who was responsible.
The stream and the mill were mentioned in indentures of lease and release dated 16 and 17 September 1785 whereby Stone Court and other properties were conveyed by the trustees of James Scawen to William Andrews. These properties included four messuages, one of which was a building "heretofore a Mill or Engine House", then in the occupation of John Drayton, and the ownership included the right of the "free use of the water running ... through and under the said Mill into the Lower Town Pond." 
The next reference found to this mill was in 1828. William Andrews died in that year, and by his will proved on 7 October 1828 he bequeathed most of his properties to his wife Martha Maria. These included "all that my Mill with the fixtures, rights and appurtenances thereto belonging at Carshalton in the County of Surrey in the possession of James Smith and Alexander -- (blank). And also all that my four Cottages with all the appurtenances to them belonging at or near or adjoining the said Mill." After his wife's death that property was to pass into the possession of his great nephews John Wright Andrews and Bailey Symes Andrews in equal shares .
John Wright Andrews died before his great aunt, on 10 December 1830. By his will, proved on 14 January 1831, he bequeathed his estate to his brother Bailey Symes Andrews in trust to administer the same for the benefit of his daughters Esther Anne and Julia Frances, then both infants. They were to enter into possession at the age of 21, and were then to enjoy equal shares .
Thus when Martha Maria Andrews died on 9 March 1840, Bailey Symes. Andrews inherited one moiety of the mill and cottages in his own right, and the other moiety in trust for his nieces.
On 11 September 1841, Bailey Symes Andrews mortgaged his moiety of the property to Thomas Cuff for £750. Thomas Cuff Adams (he had changed his name soon afterwards) subsequently advanced further sums to Andrews . Some of the money was repaid, but then Andrews took out further loans, and it seems that eventually he decided that the best way to obtain money to clear the debt would be to sell the whole property, and that he obtained the consent of his nieces who had by then come of age
Accordingly, it was arranged that the mill and adjacent houses, should be offered for sale at an auction to be held on 25 April 1849. In the sale catalogue the mill was described thus:
"A Water Mill with a capital iron breast shot wheel (l4 ft. 6 in. diameter) and Machinery worked by a Stream with a fall of about 8 feet, issuing from a Pond in Carshalton Park known as the Hog Pit Pond - and spacious Warehouses with Upper Floors.
The Mill and Warehouses are Brick and Timber built, and the Machinery was constructed principally for grinding Corn; but with the capabilities these Premises possess they are adapted for any Manufactory or Trading purpose ... (The said Water is: computed at about 4-horse Power.)" 
A newspaper advertisement of the sale added the information that the mill, although "originally constructed for grinding corn", had "latterly been used for flax dressing." 
In the book of reference to the Carshalton Tithe Map of 1847, the name of the occupier was given as George Carmel. This was probably a more accurate version of "George Kennell" who was named as the occupier of "a hemp-spinning mill of small power; the property of Mr. Andrews of Bath" by Brayley in 1850 [7. The latter reference must have been written a year or so earlier than published for the outcome of the auction in April 1849 was that the mill and houses were purchased by the auctioneer who had conducted the proceedings, John Blake of Croydon, for £1,100. The conveyance deed to John Blake was dated 5 July 1849 [8.
On 8 November 1851, John Blake granted a 19-year lease of the mill premises, effective from 29 September last, at the annual rent of £30, to Caleb Sawyer, miller, of Battersea. The indenture mentioned that the property had .been."late in the occupation of Kiel Becky"  In 1853 Frederick Braithwaite paid a visit to "Mr.Sawyer's mills which is used for grinding corn", with a wheel of 7 horse-power .
John Blake died on 23 February 1852, and by his will proved on 6 May 1852 he bequeathed most of his estate, including the mill premises to his nephew William John Blake .
In 1854 Caleb Sawyer requested a loan of £200 from William John Blake, which Blake agreed to, provided a new lease was drawn up. Accordingly, Sawyer surrendered his lease on 12 August 1854, and entered into a new 16-year lease two days later .
Caleb Sawyer did not complete the term of his lease, and a local directory for 1860 named Henry Brooks, miller and baker, as the occupier. He was there until 1884, and was succeeded the following year by William Saunders, also a miller and baker.
Directories from 1889 to 1897 list F. D. Saunders as the miller there, but in 1898 the occupier was A. E. Baker, who was recorded until 1900. From 1901 the premises were empty, and the buildings were demolished in 1907. A new building on the site of the mill, Selby's Dairy, was in use by 1909.